My trip to Kings’ Land on the Big Island of Hawaii
My most recent Hilton Grand Vacations trip to Kings’ Land was a combination of business and pleasure. I was attending a continuing education seminar held on the Kohala coast of the Big Island of Hawaii.
I was spoiled by staying at Kings’ Land which was only a 10-minute drive from the seminar location. The seminar only lasted until 1 p.m. for four days, so I had the rest of the week for pleasure!
This was my third trip to Kings’ Land, so I was familiar with the property. I was checked in and greeted by Mara. Throughout my stay, Mara was very helpful, personable and courteous. She was able to accommodate my request for my room to be located near the clubhouse. She also had a cookie sampler as a check-in treat.
After the long flight from Atlanta, Georgia, I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to find the towel arrangement on my very comfortable bed.
There was a daily breakfast buffet which was the perfect fuel for getting the day started. In the evenings, there was a happy hour which included a live band. On Thursdays, there’s a beautiful hula show which included a hula lesson!
I had been to Volcanoes National Park and Mauna Kea on previous trips so I didn’t visit those places this time, but a few highlights of this trip included:
- The Kona coffee plantations which are only a one-hour drive from Kings’ Land. Kona coffee is the souvenir always requested by my friends after a Hawaiian trip.
- The Hamakua Macadamia Nut Company store, only a 30-minute drive from Kings’ Land. Again, my friends ask for the chocolate covered macadamia nuts.
- The grass feed beef in Hawaii is perfect for steaks and hamburgers. My favorite nearby town is Waimea and my favorite restaurant there is Merriman’s, which specializes in the farm-to-table concept and incorporates authentic Hawaiian dishes.
- The one-hour drive up the Kohala coast to the Pololu Valley Lookout is also well worth the drive. Another one-hour drive through Waimea to Waipio Lookout is also spectacular.
- There are many waterfalls on the Big Island, and Rainbow Falls and Akaka falls are stunning.
- It’s so easy to drive around the Big Island by using the Gypsy Guide App which provides excellent narration and history while touring the island by car.
Although I did have to attend a four-day seminar, I still found plenty of time to enjoy the relaxing Kings’ Land resort and to enjoy the beauty of nature in Hawaii!